Scotty Brand sent us some lovely Kestrel potatoes before Christmas. They are fabulous for using for lots of potato things, boiling, baking or roasting. Mashing is just one of the ways that they can be used really well.
Potatoes are really quite good for us. I read a lot of negativity around root vegetables, and I can never quite understand the reason for it. They are high in folic acid which helps our immune system and our white blood cell production, so for that reason alone, I think they should stay part of a balanced diet to eat well.
With around 93 calories per 100 grams, it is easy to count them into a good meal plan,
I like some plain cooking with potatoes and for this recipe, I kept it very simple indeed.
Mashed Potatoes with Chilli Peppers
- 3 - 4 Kg Kestrel Potatoes Scotty Brand Potatoes
- 2 Oz Butter
- 100 Ml Fresh Milk
- 2 - 3 Chillies or Peppers Choose brightly coloured options and chop finely
- Simply boil potatoes in a pan for 15 - 20 minutes until soft.
- Drain potatoes and begin to mash. After a minute, add the butter and mash a few more times. Then add the milk to finish mashing your potatoes into a thick creamy consistency. I add my milk a tablespoon at a time, just in case. Too much milk will also spoil the consistency of the potatoes.
- Serve and top with chopped chillies or peppers (or both)
Absolutely delicious. Added 1 leek, but only to use up what was in the fridge. Quantities were perfect for my…
You forgot Cornwall, where Swedes ane called Turnips and Turnips, Swedes. You should try the orange one mashed in with…
My Dad used to say that. We are Londoners but he did serve in a Scottish regiment during WWII so…