It doesn’t look the most appetising in the image.
This was thrown together quickly for my mother’s lunch today, and I forgot to pop a little something on the top. Anyway, she was in a hurry with an empty stomach so it was a quick snap before dumping it onto the table and letting her dig in. I don’t get the prawn cocktail as a starter thing. By the time I eat any prawn cocktail, I’m in no position to eat a main course.
Personally, I’d prefer my sauce laid on top of the lettuce and the prawns laid on top of that and not mixed in, but that’s not the way she likes it. Fresh prawns can be used straight away but frozen ones will need to be thoroughly defrosted first.
Getting vegetables into my elder is almost as difficult as with my children, so I have some chopped up pieces of apple mixed in with the prawns, though they are not actually visible in the image. A little lemon juice, some tomatoes and cucumber along with the lettuce and she was fed in five minutes flat.
That’s the kind of fresh but quick meal I like. Faster than fast food!
Prawn Cocktail With Apple & Cucumber
- 500 g Boiled Prawns - Defrosted if not fresh.
- 1 Apple - Peeled Cored and Diced
- 16 Baby Tomatoes
- 1 Lettuce
- 1 Cucumber
- For The Sauce
- 5 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Good Tomato Ketchup Not the Vinegary Kind
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Shred or place your lettuce in the bottom of your bowls.
- Place tomatoes and cucumber in the bowl, along with your apple pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix your sauce ingredients together.
- Choose to either layer your sauce above the vegetables and place the prawns on top, or mix the sauce in with the prawn to add to the bowl.