For the steak and potato hotpot recipe, I’ve used Diced Steak (Round Steak) from Aberdeen Angus cattle. We really like the rich meaty taste of the Aberdeen Angus, so I knew this was going to be a great meal before I started out.
I didn’t add any fancy herbs, spices or taste altering ingredients. I decided just to go with the flavour of the meat itself, with only some salt and pepper to help the vegetables along. The result was a fabulously rich and healthy warming hotpot that I know I am going to make several variations of in future.
Slow Cooked Steak & Potato Hotpot with Diced Steak from a great butcher.
- 1.8 kg Diced Steak Round Steak from Andrew Gordon Butchery and Fine Foods
- 2 Onions Finely Chopped
- 1 Leek Finely Chopped
- 2 Carrots Chopped
- 1 Stock Pot Use Fresh or Concentrated Stock
- 3 Potatoes Sliced
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Switch on the slow cooker. Add half a litre of boiled water, and leave it to heat while you prepare the ingredients.
- In a frying pan, lightly brown the steak, which should only take a few minutes to do, then put the steak into the slow cooker.
- Lightly fry the onions and leek in a frying pan. I add the carrots for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetables to the slow cooker, along with the sliced potatoes, and another half litre of water.
- Leave to simmer for 8 hours on slow.
- Thicken gravy if necessary using bisto or cornflour.
7 thoughts on “Slow Cooked Steak & Potato Hotpot”
Can u do this without browning the meat first?
You could, but the taste would be different. Many people don’t sear the meat first.
Sorry to comment on such an old thread. Been looking for a gluten free slow cooker meal and this popped up. Going to show my other half and try it out! Thank you xx
Have fun. We love slow cooked food here.
Amazing. I don’t have any experience with slow cooking yet, so I’m really surprised by cooking time. However I can imagine how tasteful it is and just have to try it, because the photo really impressed me.
Great blog, and great recipe, will definitely try this out sometime this week! Do you have any other healthy meat recipe suggestions that would be ideal for lunch time or dinner time? 🙂
Yummy and healthy kind of foods..I really love it..