My two favourite produce providers are the reason for the fabulously speedy wolfing down of Spaghetti Bolognese for our evening meal. It’s amazing how much difference the taste of good meat and vegetables makes to the enjoyment of what we eat.
The same Scotty Brand carrots used to make the Carrot and Orange Soup, added a lovely sweetness. Combined with the gorgeously tasting steak mince from Andrew Gordon Butchery and Fine Foods in Aberdeen, the two ingredients made for a fantastic meal.
Feel free to use half portions. I had three adults and four children to feed with these proportions.
- 1kg Steak Mince
- 1 Large Onion
- 5 Large Carrots
- Teaspoon Turmeric
- Teaspoon Cinnamon or Nutmeg
- 500g Carton of Passata
- Salt & Pepper
- Rapeseed Oil
- 500g Spaghetti
- 50g Butter (Optional)
- Brown mince in a thick bottomed pan, or a good frying pan on a low heat. I added a couple of tablespoons of Rapeseed Oil to help it along.
- Chop onions finely and add to the browning mince.
- Slice carrots and add to the pan.
- Boil the kettle and add a pint of water to the mix. Leave to simmer for 25 minutes, and top up the water if necessary.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Put the pasta on to cook.
- Once the mince has simmered, add the tub of passata, turmeric and either cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Simmer the passata and mince mix for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and use boiled water to rinse the spaghetti until it runs clear.
- Add the butter to the pasta if you like the taste, and mix it through.
- Serve immediately.
18 thoughts on “Spaghetti Bolognese with Andrew Gordon Steak Mince & Scotty Brand Carrots”
I’m sure you enjoyed this recipe ,but in my opinion I wouldn’t call them Bollognese.The real bollognese ragu recipe takes at least 3 hours to be cooked and believe me,they taste awesome.
Keep Rapeseed oil, tumeric and the cinnamon aside ,as they don’t belong to real bollognese ragu sauce.Simple ingredients great dish.Start by gently frying finely chopped onion,carrots,a clove of garlic and celery stick.When the onion looks translucent ,add the mince and brown at medium heat until the liquid is evaporate.Add a glass of red wine and let reduce,then add the tomato paste and the passata .Stir everything for 5 mins and then add veg or meat stock and let simmer for another 2 hrs!Boil spaghetti aldente ,like if on the pack says boil for 10 mins ,the u do for 8 or 9 to get aldente,then add the pasta to the bollognese sauce and toss.Job done ,I hope you will try one day this recipe and please let me know how went ::) Ta
Should have been your house for a mass feed last night then?
wow. this is very mouth watering food. Thanks for the recipe I will try this at home 🙂
You can cook in the Passata too, but to get the carrots properly cooked, I prefer the longer low simmer.
Your recipe is so interesting. I never tried any spaghetti recipe aside from the usual way of cooking it. Yours looks like easy to prepare and cook. I feel like I wanna try and make one. Thanks for this! 🙂