Being the fan of slow cookers that I am, mine has seen something of a slacking off period this last few weeks. Now back and determined to get back to using it more often, we’ve just sat down to a lush slow cooker beef recipe that includes new potatoes. As always I am cooking for a large family (usually 6 + at any one time to feed). Reduce the side of the portion to suit your own family size.
Slow Cooked Beef Stew with New Potatoes
- 6 – 8 servings.
- Preparation, 15 – 20 minutes + cooking time.
- Nutritional, rich source of vegetables and meat.
- 1.2 kg stewing steak, diced.
- 500g mixed vegetables. I used celery, leek, carrot and turnip.
- 1 large or 2 small onions.
- 1kg baby new potatoes.
- 2 x beef stockpots.
- salt, pepper and / or spice to taste.
- Brown the stewing steak and add to slow cooker.
- Brown onions and mixed vegetables and add to slow cooker.
- Add stockpots.
- Wash new potatoes and mix with meat and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Cover with enough boiling water to skim the top of your ingredients.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Put on lid and cook for 8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high for large wattage slow cookers. Adjust heat and time depending on the size of your element.
- Thicken, season to taste and simply serve.
Serve with bread or rice cakes.