Being the fan of slow cookers that I am, mine has seen something of a slacking off period this last few weeks. Now back and determined to get back to using it more often, we’ve just sat down to a lush slow cooker beef recipe that includes new potatoes. As always I am cooking for a large family (usually 6 + at any one time to feed). Reduce the side of the portion to suit your own family size.
Slow Cooked Beef Stew with New Potatoes
- 6 – 8 servings.
- Preparation, 15 – 20 minutes + cooking time.
- Nutritional, rich source of vegetables and meat.
- 1.2 kg stewing steak, diced.
- 500g mixed vegetables. I used celery, leek, carrot and turnip.
- 1 large or 2 small onions.
- 1kg baby new potatoes.
- 2 x beef stockpots.
- salt, pepper and / or spice to taste.
- Brown the stewing steak and add to slow cooker.
- Brown onions and mixed vegetables and add to slow cooker.
- Add stockpots.
- Wash new potatoes and mix with meat and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Cover with enough boiling water to skim the top of your ingredients.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Put on lid and cook for 8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high for large wattage slow cookers. Adjust heat and time depending on the size of your element.
- Thicken, season to taste and simply serve.
Serve with bread or rice cakes.
6 thoughts on “Slow Cooked Beef Stew with New Potatoes”
Hey, like the look of your recipe and about ready to get it under way… only I have to ask: what are ‘beef stock pots’??.. must be a pre-made gravy or something similar??… well haven’t time to wait for your answer so going to wing this one, but if you can reply to my email as and when I would be very happy to know! (if it is a shelf-bought product please give me brand and name so that I can look it up!) … thanks again 🙂
Hiya, a stock pot is just condensed but wet stock that you add water to. Pre-made shop bought. You can use home made stock, or even stock cubes if you don’t have time to make stock. I think it’s a Knorr stock cube, but from your address, it looks like you’re not in the UK, so not sure if you’d get access to it.
Your recipe was mouth watering!I want to try it so I can add it to my list of recipe.
Oh!! This looks so yummy! We have just got a slow cooker and I am dying to use it but havent found the ideal starting recipe to try out. Looks like that is about to change 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
Ooh, just jump on in with a slow cooker. There’s not much can go wrong as long as you keep an eye on water level if its on high.
Your Slow Cooked Beef Stew with New Potatoes looks really delicious.Got to try this. Thanks for sharing your recipe!