Todays Guest Post is from theperfectbadmummy.wordpress.com, who is @mrsaimeehorton on Twitter. Her recipe for vodka and tonic battered fish & wedges is not something I would have ever thought to try, but it sounds very tempting to give a go.
Food for 2
I get a little bit excited when I learn a new kitchen “skill”. Probably more then is normal. Then, I love to make it a bit different, especially if it involves alcohol.
For the Fish:
2 chunky white fish fillets
4oz/110g Self Raising Flour
175ml of Tonic
Double shot of Vodka
Salt & Pepper
Extra Flour for dusting
1 pint of Vegetable Oil
For the Wedges
4 or 5 large potatoes – peeled and cut into wedge shapes
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C – pour the oil into a roasting dish and pop in the oven to heat
2. Sprinkle Cajun spice over the potatoes and put them into the hot oil and allow them to fry gently for about 10 minutes, until they are soft but still pale.
3. Lift out of the pan and leave to cool slightly on greaseproof paper.
4. Mix the Flour, Vodka, Tonic, Salt & Pepper in a bowl until it becomes a thick batter
5. Dip the cod in the batter until it is thickly coated
6. Place in the oil and cook for a few minutes until the batter is crispy and golden
7. Leave to drain on greaseproof paper
8. Add the potatoes back in the oil to finish off and crisp up
9. Serve with Mushy Peas or Salad and a vodka and tonic with a slice of lime.