We need to be aware of what we are doing when we burn candles. Far too many people seem to think that it is ok to light a candle and just leave it burning without any maintenance. There are some basic safety rules that we should all be following.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Burn candles on a level, protected surface.
- Keep flammable materials well away from a burning candle.
- Keep burning candles away from open windows or draughty areas.
- Don’t let the candle wick smoulder after blowing it out.
- Always use a candle holder.
- Don’t place candles in high traffic areas where they can be knocked over easily.
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning.
- Do not burn the candle for longer than the manufacturer recommends for any one burning session.
- Keep matches or lighters out of the reach of children.
- Make sure your house is equipped with a smoke alarm.
- Some decorative items with candles are meant to be decorative only.
THESE GUIDELINES IN THIS ENTIRE DOCUMENT ARE INFORMATIONAL ONLY. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THE SAFE USE AND SUPERVISION WHEN MAKING CANDLES, AND VERIFYING THAT THE METHODS ARE APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR TOOLS, MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT.