I’m a bit late for this one, but it’s not to late to make this at home for yourself.
Enjoy a game pie, with the recipe developed for British pie week
To celebrate British Pie Week (March 6-12), game specialist Wild and Game released a simple recipe for home-cooked game pie.
By specialising in frozen products, Wild and Game is making British game available all year round. The company champions game as a lean, high protein alternative to farmed meats. Wild game is also good for the environment, with some meats, such as venison, produced by necessary culling to protect ecosystems.
Wild and Game’s award-winning pies are made to traditional recipes and run from cold pies with hot water crust pastry through to luxury hot pies such as pheasant, steak and ale or venison, beef, red wine and cranberry.
Wild and Game co-founder Steven Frampton said:
“One of the most satisfying ways to enjoy game is cooked in a traditional pie. At Wild and Game we focus on making it easy to try game for the first time – and a pie is a perfect way to start.”
- 1 pack Wild and Game game mix
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- A big knob of butter
- Olive oil
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C/150Cfan/gas mark 3.
- In a lidded, oven proof pot, fry the onion in the butter and a glug of olive oil until soft.
- Toss the game mix in the flour and season.
- Add the game mix to the pan and brown.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until softening.
- Add the stock and heat until bubbling.
- Put the lid on the pot and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven and transfer the pie filling into a pie dish.
- Top with the pastry.
- Brush the top with egg.
- Turn the oven up to 220C/200fan/gas mark 6.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the pastry has browned and risen.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice.
Founded in 2017, Wild and Game sells a wide range of ready to cook game, pies, pasties, charcuterie and ready meals from its website and from selected independent food shops and supermarkets in the UK.
Wild and Game started life in Bristol and recently moved to its own distribution centre in Somerset.
The Wild and Game website is at www.wildandgame.co.uk