Guest Recipe by Chidinma of Fruitful Kitchen.
Who doesn’t like burgers?
I think there are very few people out there who truly don’t enjoy one. But today, as I was getting ready to go out and buy a burger, I realised how unhealthy that is. I thought of making my own burger, which isn’t hard, but then I wasn’t in the mood to go and get the ingredients.
In comes the one pot cheeseburger casserole! Sounds weird, right? Well, it’s actually delicious and fairly easy to make. I came across this idea because I already had ground beef, cheese, veggies and pasta…why not make something out of these?
Don’t worry, even if it sounds complicated, making this casserole only requires a few steps, some easy-to-find ingredients, and it can be done in one single pot at a time, just make sure you have a sturdy and big pot.
Let’s get cooking this crazy but yummy take on a cheeseburger!
One Pot Beef Burger Casserole With Cheese
Servings: 6/ Prep time: 10 minutes/ Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 ½ lb ground beef
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ½ tbsp mustard
- 1lb rotini pasta (or any small pasta such as mini penne, mini fusilli, or conchiglie)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pick a large pot and add olive oil, let it warm over medium heat. While your pot is warming up, chop your onion into small squares.
- Place onion and let it cook until golden or transparent. Once it looks cooked enough, add ground beef and increase the heat a little bit.
- Let the meat cook until browned, for about 3-5 minutes. Make sure you mix the beef and onions as it cooks, add the minced garlic and mix again. Finally add salt and pepper to meat as it cooks.
- When meat looks brown, stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Mix together for about 1 minute. After, add ketchup, broth, mustard, pasta and water and stir well so everything mixes together.
- Cover your pot, turn down the heat to low, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, or until your pasta looks tender.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top. Cover again for about 3 minutes, or until your cheese melts sufficiently.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, such as lettuce, fresh tomato or even pickles. Enjoy!
Ready to Try This Deconstructed Burger?
I know it seems bizarre at first, but I promise you, once you have tried this casserole, you will be in love. This is the perfect recipe for cold weather, or for a group of friends. Try accompanying it with some baked potatoes, or oven-roasted potatoes if you have a large group of friends coming over to try this dish.
If you are vegetarian, maybe use some mashed chickpeas, or lentils, instead of beef. And if you want gluten free, skip the pasta and use rice pasta, or simply use diced potatoes instead.
When making this recipe, you can add different veggies, I picked these because they are usually the ones that go with burgers, but you can change them up for something more Italian, like olive oils, or something more Mexican, like corn and hot sauce. Give it a try, but always allow your meat to cook first before adding your veggies and sauces.
What do you think? Does this seem like a good, easy recipe to make perhaps this weekend? Let me know what you think and if you have tried it!
Author Bio: Chidinma is the founder of Fruitful Kitchen, a blog that shares delicious recipes and lifestyle tips. Most of her recipes help women with fertility issues, especially fibroids, PCOS, and Endometriosis. Sometimes, however, you will find other interesting recipes, as well as cooking tips and tricks there.