I do like the taste of vegetarian haggis and my mother has managed to decide she’s now off meat for life (apart from bacon sarnies). I didn’t want to make different soups for us all, so this is just a lovely little mish mash that came out tasting great.
Give it a go, and add your own flavour and spices to make it your own, but do remember that vegetarian haggis will be fairly spicy as it is. For my mother to enjoy it, I have to add some cream at the serving stage. The chunky version is a little like a meal in a bowl for those of you who love great soup, with good taste, and still be able to have what feels like real food rather than just soup.
This is a firm favourite of mine, so I wish I could tolerate oats better. I can still get away with one small bowlful though. You can make this in a pot too, it just takes a lot of watching over, so that the haggis doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Vegetarian Haggis Soup in a Soupmaker
- 180 g Chopped Onion
- 150 g Sliced Carrot
- 150 g Potatoes Peeled and Cut Into Thin Strips
- 320 g Sliced Vegetarian Haggis I used MacSween
- 1 Garlic Clove Sliced or Crushed
- Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Teaspoon Olive Oil
- Saute your onions in the oil, then add a little of your stock and let it simmer for five minutes, adding in your garlic, with a touch of salt and pepper. Not too much, as your haggis will be full of spices.
- Add all the other ingredients and fill with stock, to above the minimum level and below the maximum level of your soupmaker. I added approximately 700ml to my maximum level.
- Select the chunky setting.
5 thoughts on “Soupmaker Recipe & Pot: Vegetarian Haggis Soup”
Sounds lovely, and with Burns night tomorrow, it’ll be great to have in the camper afterwards, when we go out in the afternoon with the Cairns for a walk across the hills..
All looks easy enough, do we cook the haggis first, or just put it in straight from the fridge..?
Hi Nikki, haggis is usually already cooked, and we just tend to reheat it. Check the packaging. I put mine in straight from the fridge.
Vegetarian Haggis Soup Recipe https://t.co/VAAyeNMXUf https://t.co/C8F4TSZBEz
Vegetarian Haggis Soup Recipe https://t.co/VAAyeNMXUf Lush…. https://t.co/XIIGrRXYUb
Vegetarian Haggis Soup Recipe https://t.co/VAAyeNvn2H Lush https://t.co/5cuf0Z3pMc