Haddock is a pretty reliable and easy fish to work with. It would have been the dish that my grandparents and their parents mostly lived on as they grew up.
As versatile as it is, a fish pie is really an easy option to make with it. I swithered between a fish pie and fishcakes, and this time round, the fish pie won for ease of simplicity.
This is another recipe for our Healthy Happy Hearts campaign with fish is the dish.
Haddock and Mange Tout Fish Pie Recipe
- 5 lb Potatoes Peeled and suitable for mashing.
- 5 Haddock Fillets Ours were quite large.
- 1 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Milk For the sauce.
- Cornflour 3 Tablespoons mixed in a little cold milk.
- Butter I use a knob of butter, but not too much to make the sauce and the same to mash the potatoes.
- 500 g Mange Tout
- 200 g Peas I like petit pois for the sweetness.
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- Rapeseed Oil
- Put the potatoes on to boil before creating the fish and sauce for the pie. They need to be cooked in some salt and left to simmer for approximately 20 minutes to be suitable for mashing.
- Wash and dry the fish. The fish can be dried in kitchen roll, or simply rolling in a little plain flour.
- I put the fish in a pan on a low heat for a few minutes in rapeseed oil to allow it to slowly cook while I prepare the white sauce. Put the oven on to approximately 120 C.
- In a pan, mix 1 - 2 pints of milk and a knob of butter. When the butter is almost fully melted and the mix is almost at boiling point, remove from the heat and stir in the cornflour and milk mixture. As it thickens, return it to the stove until you have a smooth white sauce. If it isn't thick enough for you, simply add a little more cornflour to it.
- Add the sauce to the fish along with the mange tout and the peas. Allow the mix to simmer on a low heat with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, and add the nutmeg.
- Mash the potatoes using a little butter and milk. You want the texture to be manageable without being slimy or runny.
- In a large dish, put your fish in sauce, and cover fully with your mashed potatoes.
- Put your fish pie in the oven, and cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until the potatoes turn golden on top.
- Serve and enjoy.