I know, I know, you probably all think I have gone absolutely bonkers to make soup and create a recipe with coconut and lime, but it was lovely.
So lovely that my kids loved it too. I was completely prepared for them to say they hated it so it was a nice surprise. The littlest one is my sticking point as he tends to only want the best of everything and new foods are a hit or a miss as to whether he will eat them or not.
I’m also adding this into Jacqueline’s No Croutons Required for August 2012 as this is an original recipe that I am very happy with.
Carrot and Lime Soup Recipe
- 10 – 12 servings.
- Preparation, 15 – 20 minutes + cooking time.
- Nutritional, rich source of vegetables.
- 1 litre stock. fruit, vegetable, chicken or beef. I used chicken to give the soup a good strong base, as I prefer the taste of soups with poultry stock.
- 2 litres water.
- 1 chicken stock cube.
- 3 large carrots.
- 5 medium to large potatoes.
- 1 large onion, or 2 small ones.
- 3 x limes, squeezed for juice, rind removed. You could use lime juice for cooking.
- 2 largish leeks.
- 400g good quality coconut milk.
- half litre of milk.
- Simmer stock and add 2 litres of water.
- Peel, scrape and chop all vegetables and add to pot.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt, pepper and ginger. I used ground rainbow peppercorns and ground ginger.
- Add lime juice and flesh of lime, with pith removed if you are using fresh.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, then add half a litre of milk, 400g coconut milk and the stock cube.
- Simmer until carrots and potatoes are cooked, then blend.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with basil on the top.