These have a whopping 32g of protein per scone, which is nothing to be sniffed at. Scones are high in calories anyway, and if we have one, it’s good to know there’s a lot of goodness in them too. It took me three attempts to get to these, and I’m pretty proud of them, even if I do say so myself.
They’re slightly more dense and filling than a regular scone as the coconut flour has more fibre in it, which is all good too, but they taste like scones, feel like scones, and my body is convinced its had a hugely impressive blow out when I eat one, although I KNOW, I’ve got a healthy dose of fast acting protein in my sweet treat. Add in fruit, and it’s a whole meal in a delicious and naughty food.[fbvideo link=”https://www.facebook.com/ScottishMumBlog/videos/1222025047863441/” width=”500″ height=”400″ onlyvideo=”1″]
- 100g Coconut Flour
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 100g Coconut Sugar
- 50g Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 66g Creamed Coconut or Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Approx 200-250ml Milk
- 1 Egg
- Pre-heat your oven to around 220C or 200C for fan assisted oven.
- Add the coconut flour, self raising flour, protein powder, coconut sugar and baking powder to a bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil or creamed coconut if it's solid, then add to the bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon, then use your fingers to break down the larger blobs of oil with the powders, until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add a little of the milk at a time, and using your hands, dig into the bowl and get it all mixed to a manageable consistency. It's perfect when it forms together and holds well, but isn't sticky. If you add too much milk and get the stickiness, add a little more flour to make your dough behave.
- Flour a baking tray, and split your dough into nine portions and form rough balls, then flatten, leaving them room to spread on the tray. Don't handle them too much, or they'll be a heavier consistency.
- Crack an egg into a cup, whisk it up, and brush it on the tops. It's take more egg than you're used to as the coconut flour and why will soak it all up.
- Bake and serve with luscious butter.