Most of you wouldn’t like the toasted spelt in the way that I do. The lovely nutty flavoured wheat is perfect for snacking. I toast mine until it becomes almost a dry nutty consistency as that’s what I enjoy. If you prefer yours softer, simply don’t roast/toast for long and check the cooking times on your spelt. Some of you might just prefer the spelt straight from the packet if you buy the ready to eat kind, such as I did, or a quick heat up for a minute in the microwave.
I made this in the Actifry, but you could easily use your oven to toast the spelt, or not toast it at all if you prefer the slightly chewy consistency it can give us.
I cheated and used a pack of Merchant Gourmet Spelt, that is ready to eat. Nobody said everything should be done from raw… I don’t always have time for that sort of thing.
- 250g Spelt, ready to eat.
- 100g Pitted Dates, chopped.
- 100g Sun Dried Tomatoes in oil, drained.
- Salt and Pepper.
- 1 Tablespoon Rapeseed Oil.
- I used my snacking basket to Actifry my sun dried tomatoes for 5 minutes.
- After doing my tomatoes, I then put my spelt and chopped dates into my machine, along with a pinch of salt and pepper, and the oil.
- I Actifried my spelt for 8 minutes, which will be far too long for most of you. Some might just like 1 or 2 minutes. Keep an eye on it and check every minute or so, to find out if it's the right consistency and taste for you.
- Serve with the sun dried tomatoes on top, and I added some edible rose petals to enhance the look of the dish.